Thursday, April 17, 2014

Keeping your dog off the grass... and other fairy tales

No, I don't really want to keep my dog off the grass, but looking at the mess in my backyard right now, filling up the whole area with gravel doesn't sound too bad.  Since the gravel idea isn't feasible, I put a little more thought into making the situation better.

My yard is not currently fenced in and our two dogs are taken out for potty breaks on leash.  My human kids are "trained" to take the furry ones to the same spot, which is great, however this also leaves a well worn path.  The dogs also pee as soon as they get to grass so the area right off our patio is polka dotted with dead grass spots.

A little quick research has taught me that I need to purchase some Kentucky Bluegrass seed.  This is a cool weather tolerant grass that will reseed itself (good for those dead pee-pee spots) and is more durable to higher traffic.  We also have laid down a path, which looks much nicer and keeps some of the mud off shoes and paws.

Just like we are doing, training your dogs to use one particular area for relieving themselves is best.  It takes a little extra effort, but by taking your pup out on leash or having a smaller fenced in area where they are put in when it's potty time, you are establishing a routine.  Routine is a very good thing.  Once upon a time, I had three dogs and a house without a fence.  We always took them to the same spot in a low traffic area of the yard.  Eventually we had the yard fenced in and guess what?  The dogs still went to that same area and did their deal.  Sure makes cleaning up those land mines much easier!

So let's look forward to warm weather and green grass!  Do you have some suggestions?  We'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment